[opensuse-buildservice] OBS + GitHub - deprecation of GitHub Services
  • From: Linux Kamarada <linuxkamarada@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 00:05:13 -0300
Hello, guys! I searched how to integrate OBS with GitHub so that a git
push would cause OBS to fetch the source code and build. I followed
directions on these pages:

https://openbuildservice.org/2013/11/22/source-update-via_token/

https://github.com/seccubus/obs_autobuild_test

(CC their authors, thank you for the great material!)

But when I opened GitHub's Integration & services to add the Obs
service, I read this:

"Note: [GitHub Services are being deprecated][1]. Please contact your
integrator for more information on how to migrate or replace a service
with [webhooks][2] or [GitHub Apps][3]."

[1]:
https://developer.github.com/changes/2018-04-25-github-services-deprecation/
[2]: https://developer.github.com/webhooks/
[3]:
https://developer.github.com/apps/differences-between-apps/#about-github-apps/

The news is from April 25, 2018. The first paragraph summarizes it:

"GitHub plans on shutting down GitHub Services so we can shift focus
to other areas of the API, such as strengthening GitHub Apps and
GraphQL, and improving webhooks. The intention of GitHub Services was
to allow third-party developers to submit code for integrating with
their services, but this functionality has been superseded by GitHub
Apps and webhooks. GitHub Services has not supported new features
since April 25, 2016, and we plan to officially deprecate it on
October 1st, 2018."

Although I successfully integrated OBS with GitHub using a GitHub
Service, is it already possible to do that same integration using
GitHub Apps or webhooks?

Thank you!

Antonio
The Linux Kamarada Project