Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Build issues against openSUSE Tumbleweed
Am Mon, 13 Mar 2017 17:59:35 +0100
schrieb Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger <dimstar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Just as a comparison: when we switch on rebuildstrategy 'direct' (which is
still more optimized than OBS' default): TW churns around usually for 3 - 5
days - definitively too much for Tumbleweed snapshots to be building.

Sometimes I wonder if it is worth having a snapshot every other day instead of
having a consistent system every time a snapshot is released. An otherwise idle
person might be addicted to the daily snapshot, the rest of the world would
most likely be fine with a snapshot every other week. The :Update repo would
deal with the CVEs.

Also there are pkgs which take way too long to rebuild. If they would be moved
to a special extra repo then QA could just check if the currently available
binary still works, even if the rebuild in that extra repo is not fully done.
Later the binaries from that extra repo could be merged back into the 'oss'
install repo to make it transparent.

It's not even clear if the issue would not have appeared, as libffi4 was part
of the distro and was readily available to be used - and now it's not any
longer

If nothing links against it anymore a full rebuild would have caught it.

But perhaps I misunderstood your question. I thought it was about an automated
check if the disappeared pkg 'x' is still required by another pkg. A full
rebuild, with build-compare reducing the fallout, might be one way of doing
that.

Olaf