Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: Mysterious build failures: i586 chroot on CentOS 7 host

On Tuesday 2017-02-28 15:47, Greg Ward wrote:

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017, at 05:36, Andreas Schwab wrote:
Most likely the caller was not compiled with _FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64, and
some of the values returned by the kernel in struct stat64 are not
representable by struct stat (perhaps the inode number). Try running
strace with `-e verbose=all' to see the full struct contents.

Ooooh, that's a very good hypothesis. The bus errors are also a strong
hint: it's been many years and many OS/architecture combinations since I
saw a bus error, but as I recall it was caused by alignment problems.

SIGBUS, or more specifically CPU exceptions, are generated on e.g.
SPARC and (I might have heard) x86's SSE, but not the "normal" x86 or
ppc instructions. It just handles it behind the scenes [likely at
a slower pace - but still].

The lack of _FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 in 32-bit compilations would also
normally manifest in (seemingly-spurious) error returns
(EOVERFLOW/"Value too large"), not so much asynchronous signals.