[opensuse-buildservice] Re: Mysterious build failures: i586 chroot on CentOS 7 host
On Tue, Feb 28, 2017, at 05:36, Andreas Schwab wrote:
Most likely the caller was not compiled with _FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64, and
some of the values returned by the kernel in struct stat64 are not
representable by struct stat (perhaps the inode number). Try running
strace with `-e verbose=all' to see the full struct contents.

Ooooh, that's a very good hypothesis. The bus errors are also a strong
hint: it's been many years and many OS/architecture combinations since I
saw a bus error, but as I recall it was caused by alignment problems. So
it might not be _FILE_OFFSET_BITS, but it really smells like a binary
incompatibility between some SL 6 32-bit binaries and the CentOS 7
64-bit kernel.

If correct, this means that something about how SL 6 was compiled
precludes using that OS in a chroot environment hosted on CentOS 7. That
is unfortunate, but not fatal. I guess I'll just have to restrict my
32-bit builds to running only on SL 6 hosts. Time to go learn about
build constraints...

Thanks!

Greg