Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Questions about build workers (with some answers)
On Thu, Feb 16, 2017, at 02:49, Adrian Schröter wrote:
On Mittwoch, 15. Februar 2017, 17:02:22 CET wrote Greg Ward:
Q7) How do I add new build workers on a separate host? Does that host
have to be running openSUSE,

no

So I've found this bit of documentation on adding worker hosts:

http://openbuildservice.org/help/manuals/obs-admin-guide/obs.cha.installation_and_configuration.html#_worker_farm

but I cannot figure out how to do it on a non-openSUSE system. Here's
what I've done:

* copied /etc/init.d/obsworker from my OBS server appliance to a
different host, which is running Scientific Linux 6.7 (I have a couple
of CentOS 7 boxes around too if that would help, but most of our
infrastructure is still on SL 6)

* copied /etc/sysconfig/obs-server from the OBS server to the build host

* created /data/obs (/data has lots of space) and tweaked various
settings in /etc/sysconfig/obs-server to use dirs under /data/obs

* ran "/etc/init.d/obsworker status", expecting a "not running" message

Problems:

* no such file /etc/rc.status. So I commented out the line that sources
it.
* /etc/init.d/obsworker: line 234: rc_reset: command not found
-> defined empty rc_reset function
* Checking for obsworker: /etc/init.d/obsworker: line 401: checkproc:
command not found
-> hmmm: this probably contains non-trivial logic

Conclusion: /etc/init.d/obsworker really only works on openSUSE. I guess
that is why the Admin Guide refers to a "worker appliance". But I cannot
find such an appliance on the download page, and the Admin Guide does
not link to anything. Should I be using this:

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_Appliance#Worker_Installation

?

Has anyone built a container for this? I want as few layers of
virtualization between my builds and the hardware as possible!

Thanks,

Greg