Re: [opensuse-buildservice] RPM naming conventions in OBS
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger.oberholtzer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 17:38:00 +0100
On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 5:10 PM, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thursday 2016-12-15 17:01, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

My problem is when I want to install the -devel package as well. In
this case, I need to install libsndfile-devel. Note the missing '1' in
the name.

My question is, given that I know the name of the library RPM, how can
I derive the name of the -devel package? Sometimes it is just to add
-devel to the name. Sometimes not.

1. rpm -qi libsndfile1 => gives you the SRPM name.
2. checkout openSUSE:Factory/$name/$name.spec and look for
one or more devel subpackages.

Obtain and parse the .spec file to get the -devel name?
Usually, you can install things using their pkgconfig() or cmake() Provides.

for example, to install on openSUSE systems, you can use "zypper
install -C 'pkgconfig(sndfile)'".

On Red Hat/Fedora systems, "yum install 'pkgconfig(sndfile)'" works in
the same manner.

But I cannot deduce the name 'sndfile' from a compiled program. And,
my current method also reports the names of RPMs needed as a
dependency of some library.

It is just the -devel RPM naming part that is, to me, inconsistent.

Roger Oberholtzer