Re: [opensuse-buildservice] RPM naming conventions in OBS
On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thursday 2016-12-15 17:01, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

My problem is when I want to install the -devel package as well. In
this case, I need to install libsndfile-devel. Note the missing '1' in
the name.

My question is, given that I know the name of the library RPM, how can
I derive the name of the -devel package? Sometimes it is just to add
-devel to the name. Sometimes not.

1. rpm -qi libsndfile1 => gives you the SRPM name.
2. checkout openSUSE:Factory/$name/$name.spec and look for
one or more devel subpackages.

Usually, you can install things using their pkgconfig() or cmake() Provides.

for example, to install on openSUSE systems, you can use "zypper
install -C 'pkgconfig(sndfile)'".

On Red Hat/Fedora systems, "yum install 'pkgconfig(sndfile)'" works in
the same manner.