[opensuse-buildservice] RPM naming conventions in OBS
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger.oberholtzer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 17:01:26 +0100
I have a script that makes a list of all the RPMs that must be
installed to satisfy a directory full of binary programs. The RPMs are
already installed. The purpose of the script is to get the list of
RPMs so they can easily be installed on a different system.

I have no trouble finding the name of the RPM with the needed libraries.

For example,

rpm -q --queryformat "%{NAME}\n" --whatprovides /usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1

reports:

libsndfile1

So, "zypper in libsndfile1" does the deed.

My problem is when I want to install the -devel package as well. In
this case, I need to install libsndfile-devel. Note the missing '1' in
the name.

My question is, given that I know the name of the library RPM, how can
I derive the name of the -devel package? Sometimes it is just to add
-devel to the name. Sometimes not.

Is there some brilliant way to do this reliably?

--
Roger Oberholtzer