Re: [opensuse-buildservice] SLES for Raspberry Pi 3
On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 5:30 PM, Scott Bahling <sbahling@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2016-12-13 at 12:04 +0100, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

No extensions were listed by SUSEConnect.

Investigating this internally at SUSE because it doesn't seem right.
Might be an oversight.

In the meantime, what exactly do you want to do? This is the open build
service mailing list. If you which build some packages in OBS for
aarch64 on SLES 12 SP2, that you can do now as OBS has (or at least
should have) all packages required for building. If missing something,
report it here and it will be addressed.

What I really want to do is install openSUSE on the PI3. I have tried
the images on OBS and they simply never work. So, I tried SLES. And it
works great. I suspect SLES, if it is ever really released for the
Raspberry, would be priced such that using it on the Raspberry might
be difficult. I don't know what the plans are for this. I suspect it
is just an interesting exercise more than the start of a new product.
But I have not seen a discussion of this.

I want to compile some of our libraries to run on the Raspberry. They
are not in OBS as they are very local in interest (not many openSUSE
users collecting data from lasers, accelerometers, GPS and such
devices). And, some use proprietary libraries that we cannot place on
OBS. Part of this exercise is to make those dependencies conditional.
I know that I could probably do the same as a cross-compile on my
desktop openSUSE. But, eventually, I need to test them. So I thought,
why not see what the Raspberry can do?

If you want to build locally without using OBS, then yes, you would need
the -devel packages. Stay tuned on that.

I will. I also thought that SUSE probably like people to try different
things so they can see what they may have overlooked in making the
Raspberry release.

I'm curious if the openSUSE Raspberry release might improve as a
result of the SLES release. I do not know how much they cooperate.

--
Roger Oberholtzer