Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Confused about LVM and bootstrap process
Hi,
On Do, 2016-11-24 at 11:16 -0500, Greg Ward wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to setup a little toy OBS to learn how it works. I'm using
KVM on Ubuntu 16.04, following the directions at

  http://openbuildservice.org/download/other/

A couple of things are unclear on that page:
1) exactly how to create the LVM volume group and logical volume,

I think there are enough Howto`s out there to describe the lvm setup
procedures.

2) whether the "OBS" VG is required or merely desirable, and

I have to admit that it would be a good idea to mention that LVM setup
is optional

3) how to tell if OBS is using those LVM volumes.

all the magic happens in init script "obsstoragesetup". This script
must be enabled and in /etc/sysconfig/obs-server

OBS_STORAGE_AUTOSETUP="yes"

must be set.

So, I *believe* I have satisfied the LVS conditions explained on
http://openbuildservice.org/download/other/.

After running /usr/lib/obs/server/setup-appliance.sh, I was able to
access the OBS web interface from my host system. Awesome! But there
is
no indication that OBS has done anything with my LVM setup.

if your lv /dev/OBS/server is mounted to /srv/obs (at least in default
config) it should have worked.

Anyway - for only playing around I would strongly recommend to use one
of the appliances (qcow2 might be the best choice, because its the most
commonly used and best tested). It`s also a good choice for productive
use - but then I would recommend an extra virtual disk with the LVM
setup and physical worker machines.

cu
Frank