Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Downloading (signing keys at least) from OBS via HTTPS?
  • From: Archie Cobbs <archie.cobbs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 11:58:24 -0500
On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 11:49 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 10:02 AM, Andreas Stieger <astieger@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:
HTTPS (signed by *any* CA) is a downgrade in security compared to
signed metadata and packages.

True.. but just to be clear, we're talking about a specific (but
common) scenario, which is when a user downloads the signing key via
zypper ref, automatically answering "Trust Always?" with yes.

In this scenario what we have today is delivery of that key via HTTP.
I'm suggesting we change this to HTTPS, which is much more secure.

That key isn't confidential (or is it?), so what might be gained by
enabling https ?

Delivery of the key is vulnerable to a man-in-the-middle attack when
using only HTTP.

Any once you've installed my bogus signing key, I can sign any bogus
package I want with it and you would trust it.

-Archie

--
Archie L. Cobbs