Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Newer compilers for older versions of RHEL (etc.)

On Thursday 2016-07-21 01:54, David Adam wrote:

We're looking at adding some C++11 features to the code [...]
of course RHEL/CentOS 5 & 6 have compilers that are just too
old to support these. If we have to, we'll drop these platforms[...]
Does anyone have any ideas for how to get a newer compiler into the build?

I followed simotek's suggestion from SuperUser[1] and branched the gcc47
package into my own project, but I just couldn't convince it to build
properly on RHEL 5/6 due to unresolvable dependencies[2], possibly because
of the different structure of openSUSE's base system.

Ideally we could just pull the packages from
http://people.centos.org/tru/devtools-2/devtools-2.repo but I understand
that might be hard to make work.

They would install the compiler in /opt which means you have to mess around
with specfiles.
(And in any case, you would want the current devtools-4.)