Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Caching with git service
On Dienstag, 26. Juli 2016, 13:55:34 CEST wrote Simon Lees:
Hi All,

I've been finding the git services really helpful for some of the
smaller things I maintain but I also maintain a couple of larger
libraries (git repos of over 100mb) and having to clone the repo every
build is not a fast process. I was thinking about improving this process
by "caching" the git repo's, so the service would first check to see if
the repository existed in $XDG_CACHE_HOME/osc/git-service and if it did
rather then cloning it again running "git clean" + "git reset --hard" +
"git update".

such a thing is actually implemented already in latest versions of tar_scm:

- "osc build" stores the git trees in local directory and even maintains
changes there for local builds. They need to be pushed for server side
builds:

http://openbuildservice.org/2016/04/08/new_git_in_27/

- there is a config option in

/etc/obs/services/tar_scm

to use a global cache directory.

Please use the one from openSUSE:Tools project, we will make a maintenance
update of it soon for all SUSE distros.

Does anyone have any objections to this idea or reasons why it couldn't
work. I could always create a second "git-cache" service if people
didn't want it to be the default behaviour.

Cheers

(AG Nürnberg)

Maxfeldstraße 5
90409 Nürnberg