Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Improvements for building .deb packages for projects with an in-tree debian/ (or debian.upstream/) directory
  • From: Martin Koegler <martin.koegler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 19:22:41 +0100
On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 09:51:46PM +0000, Terry Burton wrote:
My goal is to provide OBS with nothing but a single _service file with
everything else extracted directly from the project's repository via
extract_file, etc.

I already have this working for a few years:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/home:e9925248:grandorgue/grandorgue/_service

1. SUPERFLUOUS TAR FILE: I'm using tar_scm to create the tarball from
the project's Git repository and to provide automatic versioning,
however I seem to require a duplicate tarball just for DEB that has a
static filename as referenced from the DEBTRANSFORM-TAR tag. It would
be great to be able to simply use the versioned output of tar_scm
(recompressed).

The two tar files are not causing any issue [I don't use DEBTRANSFORM-TAR].

2. DEBIAN.* FILES: I have to separately map each of the files in my
project's debian.upstream/ directory to debian.* files for OBS. It
would be great to indicate to debtransforn that a particular directory
in the tarball contains Debian packaging. Then you would only need to
provide the .dsc file, not the debian.{rules,control} files, etc.

I have included debian/ in the tarball. I only extract a dummy file
[debian.debtransform]
to trigger a debtransform run as well as the changelog, so that debtransform
can update
it.
I would still allow me to add/update file in the debian/ directory, if I just
add
futher debian.* files.

[ 2a. For context, a year or two back I was successfully building DEBs
on OBS by having the Debian packaging directory called debian/ in the
project repo/tarball. Recent versions of OBS appear to fail with an
in-tarball debian/ directory because the diff generated by
debtransform from the OBS debian.{control,rules} files conflicts with
the existing debian/{control,rules} files ??? the pre-existing files
appear to get patched into rather than replaced or left as-is. Besides
this, Debian guidance is for upstream projects to name any included
DEB packaging something other than debian/ such as debian.upstream/ as
I now do. So indicating that some otherwise-named directory provides
the DEB packaging seems preferable. ]

Included debian/ is still working. I contributed years ago some code to
update/replace files in the orig tarball.

Regards,
Martin