Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Improvements for building .deb packages for projects with an in-tree debian/ (or debian.upstream/) directory

On Monday 2016-02-22 22:51, Terry Burton wrote:
1. SUPERFLUOUS TAR FILE: I'm using tar_scm to create the tarball from
the project's Git repository and to provide automatic versioning,
however I seem to require a duplicate tarball just for DEB that has a
static filename as referenced from the DEBTRANSFORM-TAR tag. It would
be great to be able to simply use the versioned output of tar_scm
(recompressed).

Solution: Do not supply a DEBTRANSFORM-TAR line at all.

2. DEBIAN.* FILES: I have to separately map each of the files in my
project's debian.upstream/ directory to debian.* files for OBS. It
would be great to indicate to debtransforn that a particular directory
in the tarball contains Debian packaging.
[ 2a. [...]
Debian guidance is for upstream projects to name any included
DEB packaging something other than debian/ such as debian.upstream/ as
I now do. So indicating that some otherwise-named directory provides
the DEB packaging seems preferable. ]

You could just remove the debian/ directory from the source tarball.
Many projects, so I believe, have done that over the last 15 years as
they realized that distro-specific code should be with the distro
instead, also because it has been a bitrot factor.

3. VERSIONING: A Debian non-native package must have a version that
ends in "-N", which is incompatible with RPM versioning.

DEBTRANSFORM-RELEASE: 1

is necessary in the .dsc to get the automated "N" like it
already happens for .spec builds.