Re: [opensuse-buildservice] pw3270 and ooRexx
On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 8:40 AM, Erico Mendonca <Erico.Mendonca@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello all,

The builds for the package X11:terminals:pw3270 stopped for SLE12, openSUSE
13.1 and openSUSE 13.2 because the BuildRequires for ooRexx-devel (also
maintained by me) is not being found.

However, the proper versions are there (and have been for quite a while), in
devel:languages:misc and on openSUSE:Factory. I see there is an older version
(ooRexx-4.1.3) in openSUSE:13.1 and openSUSE:13.2 for these packages, but I
don’t have access to update them.

This is a common situation. The easiest solution is to just disable the build.

I'm not typically happy with that, so my low tech solution is to
branch a copy of the dependency to the devel project.

Another option is to add edit the project metadata and add the
dependencies devel project to the set of repos you build against.

Both of the last 2 options require project maintainer rights which you
don't seem to have for X11:terminals.

If I try to request access as a maintainer for both, I’m informed that I
should use openSUSE:Factory or openSUSE:13.2:Update and openSUSE:13.1:Update.

The main openSUSE:13.2 and 13.1 repos were frozen a year and two years
ago respectively. No one should be modifying them.

If I try to request the maintainer role for openSUSE:13.2:Update and
openSUSE:13.1:Update, I get a 404 error. The version in openSUSE:Factory is
current, as I submitted it a while ago.

For the update repos, there is a well-defined maintenance update
procedure you have to follow:

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Package_maintenance

It is not the same procedure as used for factory updates.

The first key aspect is a maintenance update SR will be rejected if
there is not a bugzilla entry referenced in the changelog of the SR.
You can open your own bugzilla against the dependencies stating they
are out of date, but I'm not sure if the opensuse maintenance team
will find that enough justification to allow you to update them.

You really need to document a bug that is resolved by doing the update.

If I try to submit from devel:languages:misc/ooRexx to either
openSUSE:13.1:Update or openSUSE:13.2:Update, I get a “unable to submit”
error, with no further details. I can submit to openSUSE:Factory normally.

Again, you have to follow the maintenance procedure for released
products. A simple SR does not meet the criteria.

Any ideas?

Greg