Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Patch: drop "Suggests:" and "Recommends:" if rpm does not know them
On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 7:12 AM, Stefan Seyfried
<stefan.seyfried@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I'm running an OBS instance, used amongst others to build stuff for
multiple distributions (SLES and RHEL, mostly).

Now if I import packages from openSUSE OBS, I often have to patch the
spec file. 95% of these patches are like this:

+%if 0%{?suse_version}
Recommends: not_really_necessary_thing_1
Suggests: totally_unnecessary_thing_2
+%endif

I automated this task in build-recipe-spec: If the target's RPM does not
know "Recommends:" or "Suggests:", just drop these lines.

This is made configurable with the following prjconf
Buildflags: dropunknownrpmtags

here is the patch for discussion, if this would be interesting for
upstream, I'll prepare a proper pull request.

Your patch assumes that only SUSE would support weak dependencies.
However this is not the case. While it is true SUSE's patched RPM has
had it for quite a while, it was upstreamed into mainline RPM for RPM
4.12. In the current supported distribution selection list, Fedora 21
and newer (as well as Mageia 5 and newer) have support for it.

And if they are building with debbuild (which can use RPM spec to
produce native Debian packages), the tags are supported as well for
all Debian targets.

My suggestion: add a check for the BuildEngine so that it doesn't do
anything when debbuild is being used and also ask RPM what version it
is if it isn't SUSE or debbuild and evaluate based on that.