Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: Donate CPU cycles to the OBS.
  • From: jcsl <trcs@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 20:59:24 +0200
Hi.

El Sábado, 29 de agosto de 2015 20:37:11 Matwey V. Kornilov escribió:
29.08.2015 20:01, jcsl пишет:
Hi.

Just as is done in scientific and other kind of projects, is it possible
install a client that allows CPU cycles to be donated to the OBS? For
example, my desktop is relatively powerful (Phenom 2 X6, 16 GB of RAM),
and I currently don't perform intensive tasks on it. So I could donate
those unused CPU cycles while you the computer is on.

Many users complain of not being able to contribute to the project for
various reasons. I think this would be a way to contribute and help
improve the project because it would increase the processing power
available for the various tasks that the project encompasses.

Greetings.

I don't think that it is possible, because of security reasons. We must
trust the environment where packages are being built.

As far as you have full control over your hardware, you can intrude
build process and put malicious software into package.

I didn't think about security... Well, I just asked to see if it already
existed the necessary framework to do the job. If it has to be done it's only
more work to do and another thing to maintain, so not very appealing in the
end. But now that you mention the security subject, I wonder myself how do
other projects manage this. I mean, SETI and some other big projects are
distributed and users could forge the data too.

Greetings.