Re: [opensuse-buildservice] The details for scheduling option "rebuild" in meta configuration
On Thursday, February 26, 2015 08:26:09 AM Adrian Schröter wrote:
On Donnerstag, 26. Februar 2015, 14:59:21 wrote Ji Xiang:
Hello everyone,
I have been confused for long time in terms of the rebuild (or I can
say 'scheduling') mechanism of OBS.
The most confused point is why a full rebuild is needed for software
release on OBS.

Well if it is "needed" can always be discussed. But it is needed _IF_
you want to be sure that you are able to rebuild it after releasing
it (eg. the newer gcc may just crash or header files suddenly provide
conflicting definitions). Also some changes could apply which are not
expressed in the dependencies of packages.

Many thanks for your kind of answer, do you mind give me a example what kind
of the change which are not included in the dependency?
The major reason I asked this question is we are using OBS, however we found
that it takes quite long time to do a full build(some packages are built many
times due to the dependency), and if there are some changes happened at low
layer(like glibc , qt etc), all the packages will be built, we have to wait
for long time. It can not met the requirement of fast release process.

So I am trying to understand how the scheduling mechanism of OBS working, and
how to optimize the build time to make OBS well support the fast release
process.

This is why I tried the 'rebuild' and 'block' options, but it is said in the
document set both to the non-default value will cause some build and
dependency problem.
If both option are not 'security', then I can not use it to optimize the build
speed.

It is said in the document which describes the scheduling strategies
that if we don't use the default value of "rebuild" and "block" option
for scheduling, there will be some build or dependency problem
occurred.

block option is mostly only an optimization of build power => do not
build something if you know you will need to rebuild it soon (at least
in default (transitive) rebuild strategy).

I can not imagine what kind of the scenario will cause the problem.

I will be appreciate if someone can describe the reason or can
provide some material for that.

It is a little bit documented here:

http://openbuildservice.org/help/manuals/obs-reference-guide/cha.obs.build_s
cheduling_and_dispatching.htm