Re: [opensuse-buildservice] The details for scheduling option "rebuild" in meta configuration
On Donnerstag, 26. Februar 2015, 14:59:21 wrote Ji Xiang:
Hello everyone,
I have been confused for long time in terms of the rebuild (or I can
say 'scheduling') mechanism of OBS.
The most confused point is why a full rebuild is needed for software
release on OBS.

Well if it is "needed" can always be discussed. But it is needed _IF_
you want to be sure that you are able to rebuild it after releasing
it (eg. the newer gcc may just crash or header files suddenly provide
conflicting definitions). Also some changes could apply which are not
expressed in the dependencies of packages.

It is said in the document which describes the scheduling strategies
that if we don't use the default value of "rebuild" and "block" option
for scheduling, there will be some build or dependency problem
occurred.

block option is mostly only an optimization of build power => do not
build something if you know you will need to rebuild it soon (at least
in default (transitive) rebuild strategy).

I can not imagine what kind of the scenario will cause the problem.

I will be appreciate if someone can describe the reason or can
provide some material for that.

It is a little bit documented here:

http://openbuildservice.org/help/manuals/obs-reference-guide/cha.obs.build_scheduling_and_dispatching.html

Thanks