Re: [opensuse-buildservice] osc, disable spec file auto format
On Mittwoch, 18. Februar 2015, 15:55:32 wrote Brian K. White:
On 2/13/2015 10:38 AM, Ruediger Meier wrote:
On Friday 13 February 2015, Adrian Schröter wrote:
On Freitag, 13. Februar 2015, 15:03:10 wrote Ruediger Meier:
On Friday 13 February 2015, Adrian Schröter wrote:
On Freitag, 13. Februar 2015, 14:17:52 wrote Ruediger Meier:
I'am already using latest git HEAD "osc" client locally
installed in my /home. How could I teach it to not use globally
(broken) services in /usr/lib/obs/service/ but from another
directory?

this path is currently hard coded in osc/core.py around line 400.

Either patch it in your copy and create a pull request turning
this into a ~/.oscrc option :)

I would probably change two things:

1. The global path /usr/lib/obs/service/ should respect
--exec-prefix and/or --prefix used in "./setup.py install"

okay

Hm, this seems to be more complicated than I thought.

2. Introduce another config dir like ~/.obs/service/ where services
are looked up first. So certain global installed services could
be "fixed/disabled" by providing empty scripts there.

not sure if I like this... well, maybe if osc prints big warning
letters that it is using an own, possibly outdated version ...

As root you could already skip it right now like this
$ sudo truncate -s0 /usr/lib/obs/service/format_spec_file

As already said I think that it does not make much sense that server
admins (project owners) trust on a particular file called
"/usr/lib/obs/service/format_spec_file" to be executed on client side.

Why not just review/correct style policies automatically on server-side by
_one_ up-to-date script.

For example last commit in obs-service-format_spec_file is
-------------------
### company name changed

-unshift @copyrights, "# Copyright (c) $thisyear SUSE LINUX Products GmbH,
Nuernberg, Germany.";
+unshift @copyrights, "# Copyright (c) $thisyear SUSE LINUX GmbH,
Nuernberg, Germany.";
--------------------

Couldn't you just correct things like this one time for all packages
without bothering
"osc commit"? The currently preferred way with dozens of different
format_spec_file
versions on client sides will only make sure that we will finally use as
much different
company names as possible ...

cu,
Rudi

There is no getting around the fact that a vcs tool that modifies your
data on it's own is wrong. Nothing you could ever say makes that ok.

actually almost every vcs tool I know can do this, if you want ...

Would you tolerate it if the cp command *ever* made *any* change to the
data on it's own along the way?

... it is a matter of tast if you want to use it in your project or not.

I agree that the changes should be limited to things which are save to
change and it must never break things (or make it at least very-very unlikely).

Whatever high level result you wanted to get from this behavior, this is
the wrong place to insert it.

we could turn it around and just check the policies and ask the people
to execute formaters manually and in addition auto-decline requests
with wrong formating.

however, that will force people always to update their tools at the
same point of time and it will add multiple manual steps.
And we live with it since more then 15 years with this. I do not
see a reason (except bugfixing certain issues) to change it suddenly
and add additional burden to the packagers.
I am sure to hear complains about declined requests if we would do so.

Maxfeldstraße 5
90409 Nürnberg
Germany