[opensuse-buildservice] Appliance DNS problem: cannot get sources, download link localhost
  • From: Roel van Meer <roel@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 10:38:30 +0100
Hi list!

I'm currently setting up a private OBS instance. I've installed the appliance and I've gotten everything working so far, except for two things:

1. The workers cannot resolve hostnames

If I try to build a package with remote sources (I've used logrotate as a test), I get an error when the worker is trying to retrieve the sources:

[ 45s] ==> Retrieving sources...
[ 45s] -> Downloading logrotate-3.8.8.tar.gz...
[ 45s] % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time
Current
[ 45s] Dload Upload Total Spent Left
Speed
[ 45s] Warning: Transient problem: timeout Will retry in 3 seconds. 3 retries
left.
[ 48s] Warning: Transient problem: timeout Will retry in 3 seconds. 2 retries
left.
[ 51s] Warning: Transient problem: timeout Will retry in 3 seconds. 1 retries
left.
[ 54s] curl: (6) Could not resolve host: fedorahosted.org
[ 54s] ==> ERROR: Failure while downloading logrotate-3.8.8.tar.gz

The "Could not resolve host" message pointed to a DNS problem, which I can confirm, because when I put the source on a website I can access by IP, the build completes.

2. The link on the "Binaries" page of a package points to localhost.

I would expect the host part to contain the hostname of the obs appliance.
I've seen that BSConfig.pm defaults to localhost if it cannot get the fqdn, but that's as far as I got.

Since these are both DNS-related, I though I'd ask them together. If anyone has either a solution, or tips where to look, I'd be very grateful.

Some background info: The appliance gets and IP address via dhcp, and DNS seems to be working:

obs:~ # hostname
obs
obs:~ # hostname -f
obs.bokxing.intern
obs:~ # host obs.bokxing.intern
obs.bokxing.intern has address 192.168.2.84
obs:~ # host 192.168.2.84
84.2.168.192.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer obs.bokxing.intern.

We do use ipv4, but not ipv6. I don't know if that matters.

Thanks, Roel