Re: [opensuse-buildservice] May open build service be used to build Whonix (debian derivative) VM images?
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 00:42:26 +0000
Adrian Schröter wrote:
On Samstag, 22. November 2014, 16:07:03 wrote Patrick Schleizer:
Hi!

Whonix [1] is a derivative of Debian.

Its VM build script needs:

- mount (device-mapper), but I guess that would not be a problem, since
open build service is based on KVM?

- sudo (not just fakeroot) - is it available?

- quite some load (hdd load, traffic load [downloading packages from
debian repositories], build time [takes some time to create a whole vm
image] - would that be a problem?

well, in case it is a problem, the automatic priorization handling
should take care of the situation :)

Okay, great.

Your servers are accustomed to
building SUSE vm images, but as far I understand its architecture is a
bit different and you might be using packaging caches and such.

Using open build service as a CI service that is capable of building VM
images would be very helpful to Whonix!

What do you think? Would Whonix VM builds be welcome on open build
service servers?

I am a bit unsure what you ask here.

Just wanted to ask about the server system resources before starting to
build such a huge project as Whonix. (It's a Linux distribution after all.)

Can you build it just by building
.deb files and using debian's LiveBuild support? In that case the support
from OBS side should be complete.

No. Whonix's build script isn't based on livebuild. We're not producing
live dvd's (yet), but virtual machine images.

Jan Blunck added the LiveBuild support some weeks ago, he may can you
also point to some example and documentation for that.

Or do you need something else?

Not at the moment. I'll open a new thread should I have technical
questions. Thanks.

Cheers,
Patrick