Re: [opensuse-buildservice] MemoryCrash with rpmlint (32bit)
On Wednesday 05 November 2014 13:34:44 Jan Engelhardt wrote:

I've seen something very recently, too:
When Chromium is built with -ggdb3 and the default (bfd) linker
in a 4GB (32-b) environment, I get a memory allocation failure in
ld already - it does not even get to rpmlint. Yes, it's that big.

I know as that I am maintaining the chromium packages for openSUSE. For the
chromium build itself the solution is to build with shared libraries which
drops the memory requirements for the link process or to use the gold linker.

Possible workarounds is using gcc's -gsplit-dwarf, but RPM does not
support handling the so-generated files yet.
[ http://www.rpm.org/ticket/879 ]

This error occurs when the full build process is finished and rpmlint is
started to show what errors/warnings it has detected. So Chromium is already
build, installed, etc. It is just rpmlint going through logfiles and then
crashing. I have this for all openSUSE releases (12.3, 13.1 and Factory) in
the network:chromium repository.

Regards

Raymond