Re: [opensuse-buildservice] linking with X11 in OBS
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 11:18:39 +0100
On Tuesday, March 11, 2014 09:56:48 AM Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Tuesday 2014-03-11 08:00, Stephan Kulow wrote:
or the antithesis to "principle of least surprise". It would be good
to have SUSE_ASNEEDED -- whichever value (unset|1) it will attain --
to be consistent across both the default system and the build setup.

It's a feature that our packages default to as-needed to avoid
unnecessary dependencies.

Heh, but there's more to it than just _that_ :)

It also flagged software packages which failed to adhere to object
file ordering on the linker line, something that is required _anyway_
if not using the GNU linkers. So people were taught a lesson, and
they learned. So I guess what I would want normal everyone in
non-build chroot to have is order enforcement rather than as-needed.
(I'll leave it at that.)

libA uses something in libB, which uses something in libA. You might argue bad
design. But that does happen. I have done silly things like:

-lA -lB -lA

But that is not pretty.

--
Yours sincerely,