Re: [opensuse-buildservice] EXE package format
  • From: Martin Koegler <martin.koegler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 22:17:23 +0100
On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 08:40:41PM +0100, Adrian Schröter wrote:
Each publish regenerates repomd.xml - so if the mirrors could not handle
this, we would see
lots of outdated or invalid repository content on the mirrors.

we delivere the repo meta data for that (and security) reasons only via
trusted servers.
But also our download redirector depends on the file name.

So, if there are multiple files with same file name each user may get a
different
version. Depending on the used mirror.

For the users, %release would not matter in my case. The source is
extracted from SVN, %version includes
the revision and the installer is self-contained. It simply does not
matter, if the installer is build using
GCC 4.7.1 or 4.7.2.

erm, I doubt. There will be cases where it does matter for sure which packages
got used. This is not limited to gcc, but also important for all used libs.

I talked about my package:
This would only matter, if we would have a zypper like solution.
If you put all dependencies into the installer, the whole thing is
self-contained with no external dependencies.

I thought of just gobbling up all files from the OTHER/ directory
that match /-%version-%release\./ (no BOL or EOL anchors!).
That does not give you the freedom you have with rpm filenaming,
but better than nothing.

Especially for the mingw context, you have to include $ARCH (win32/win64)
in the filename.

In my option, -$ARCH looks better than .$ARCH:
GrandOrgue-0.3.1.1613-win32.exe

given that .exe files do not contain meta informations like rpm packages do
(like version-release or the disturl) it is even more important for .exe files
IMHO to have the commit and build counter ...

I want to help OBS to improve that support.

Should I move to
GrandOrgue-%{version}-%{version}-win%{_mingw_bitsize}.exe
with my next update?

Regards,
Martin