Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Valgrind-devel package on RHEL
  • From: Greg Banks <gnb@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 09:49:47 -0800
On 14 January 2014 08:41, Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Dienstag, 14. Januar 2014, 08:37:20 wrote Greg Banks:
G'day Adrian,

If that works we can even make this default in RHEL project.

I'm curious, why do OBS's RHEL build VMs use a kernel which isn't the
default RHEL kernel?

Back in the days when we started OBS the XEN stuff was new and kvm did not
exist.

We were happy to have one kernel at all which was working in VM's. Most
of the kernels did not work. And so far we did not want to debug and fix
kernels of foreign distributions.

Ah, this makes sense.

What if someone wants to build a package which
includes kernel modules?

well, just to build kernel modules, you just need to have the proper
sources installed. The kernel does not have to run.

True, but some bits of build infrastructure does a uname -r and
assumes that means something significant.

But you are right that there are also use case where you may want to load
a kernel module during the build. That is one of the reasons why we
added the support to load native distribution kernels.

Yes, and the ability to actually test a kernel module you just built
is one of the advantages of a VM based approach over a chroot
approach.

But we have not configured it as default yet. But I guess we will do
so soon for openSUSE:Factory at least.

Ok. Thanks for explaning.

--
Greg.