Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Valgrind-devel package on RHEL
On Dienstag, 14. Januar 2014, 08:37:20 wrote Greg Banks:
G'day Adrian,

On 14 January 2014 01:50, Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Dienstag, 14. Januar 2014, 08:26:33 wrote Martin Koegler:

If you setup your own OBS instance, you can import, whatever you want.

Or you can repackage the RHEL kernel in your so that OBS VM will use it.

That seems like a *whole* lot of work just for one header file.

not really, you just need an rpm which provides a kernel and an initrd
binary at a defined place.
It is not about to compile a new kernel, just repackage in a way
which is usable by OBS.

If that works we can even make this default in RHEL project.

I'm curious, why do OBS's RHEL build VMs use a kernel which isn't the
default RHEL kernel?

Back in the days when we started OBS the XEN stuff was new and kvm did not
exist.

We were happy to have one kernel at all which was working in VM's. Most
of the kernels did not work. And so far we did not want to debug and fix
kernels of foreign distributions.

What if someone wants to build a package which
includes kernel modules?

well, just to build kernel modules, you just need to have the proper
sources installed. The kernel does not have to run.

But you are right that there are also use case where you may want to load
a kernel module during the build. That is one of the reasons why we
added the support to load native distribution kernels.

But we have not configured it as default yet. But I guess we will do
so soon for openSUSE:Factory at least.

(AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstraße 5
90409 Nürnberg