Re: [opensuse-buildservice] RE: Setting up a backup obs-server.
On Donnerstag, 9. Januar 2014, 12:18:17 wrote Rob Zebedee:
-----Original Message-----
From: Adrian Schröter [mailto:adrian@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 09 January 2014 10:59
To: opensuse-buildservice@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Rob Zebedee
Subject: Re: [opensuse-buildservice] RE: Setting up a backup obs-server.

On Donnerstag, 9. Januar 2014, 10:37:58 wrote Rob Zebedee:
Does anybody have any ideas on how I would create or setup a backup
obs-server or any info that they can point me at to set this up.
Alternatively
some info on how the b.o.o is setup if this is the best way.
Do you have multiple api and webui servers?

no, but should be possible when using the same mysql database.

I was looking at trying that but I couldn't track down exactly where the
config was for pointing a remote api/webui server at a remote database. Could
you tell where I would be able to configure this.

you setup just another api/webui on another host. As long, both use same mysql
you do not have a problem. (not api&webui is anyway merged in upcomming OBS 2.5)

I started to look at the mysql replication to back up the db but I was unsure
of what else was required in the backup, i.e. what folders to include and not
include.

I am using a cname in the DNS to hopefully flick between servers and then
just flick the slave db into master mode and bring the old master up as a
slave to keep in sync.

I suppose what I am trying to do is make both servers look at a cname for the
db which resolves to the master then if needed stop the master, switch the
slave db to master mode and then switch the cname to point at the slave
server.
I this something that would work with the obs server?

it should, but not tested.

What config changes might I need in the BSConfig file for this to work?

well, backend has no fail-over support at all yet. You can just rsync.

However, most critical is the source server. When you loose binaries in the
rep server, a scheduler cold start should identify that on a cold start
and just rebuild.

What would need to point at the cname and what could always point locally?

for the database? just config/database.yml in api/webui.

Sorry for a lot of questions I have scoured the wiki and I find some half
info like such and such is possible but then nothing to backup what needs to
be changed to make it work.

If I get the above to work I will try and document what I have done and what
changes would need to be made.

We have no support for HA/fallback servers in the backend so far . (mysql
could be configured as HA, but I have not tested that either).

So, the only way to backup them is using rsync for now.

What should be backed up via rsync? The whole of the obs directory or just
certain folders.

/srv/obs

You can leave out log, events, tmp, run. But on the other hand, they do not
contain much data.

Or you are willing to work on real HA support for OBS (or sponsoring it).
I am happy to follow up on that with you in that case :)

happy new year
adrian

What config changes need to be made to run a distributed backend and
what directories do all the servers need to see?
I found this info

http://wiki.maemo.org/OpenSuse_Build_Service/Installation

but it seems a bit old is this still valid info?
Robert Zebedee
Senior Integration Engineer | Evertz Europe