[opensuse-buildservice] Re: [opensuse-factory] Factory _constraints for 32bit architectures
On 10/07/2013 03:14 PM, Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
Am 07.10.2013 15:07, schrieb Dirk Müller:
Hi,

increasingly recently I'm seeing constraints added to Factory packages
in this form:

<constraints>
<hardware>
<physicalmemory>
<size unit="M">2048</size>
</physicalmemory>

This tells OBS to not schedule the job on hosts that can not provide
at least 2048 Megabyte (2048 * 1024 * 1024 bytes). With other words,
this rules out all 32bit workers without LPAE extension.

Unfortunately due to unsolved upstream bugs, the current Guest kernel
we use for KVM builds does not have LPAE enabled, which means we can
boot VMs with 2000 MB memory maximum (actually a bit lower than that).

As a temporary measurement, I've hacked the workers to report 64GB of
memory to the scheduler so that those constraints are not effective,
but it would be nice to fix this at the source.

Please do not add a constraint that rules out any chance of 32bit ARM
builds unless you really really really need it (so far I have not seen
any package in Factory that cannot be made building with less than 2GB
of RAM though).

For devel:languages:python:Factory/pypy I have the following set:

<constraints>
<hardware>
<cpu>
<flag>sse2</flag>
</cpu>
<physicalmemory>
<!-- Actually we only need >4G on x86_64, 2G should be sufficient
on 32-bit machines -->
<size unit="M">5120</size>
</physicalmemory>
</hardware>
</constraints>

As you can read from my comment, I can probably live with half the mem
on 32bit hardware but _constraints currently can't be limited to
architectures. That's a feature I already talked to Adrian about and I
think he's got it on his radar (CC'ing opensuse-buildservice@ therefore).

Just for clarification. This addresses especially <physicalmemory> and not
<memory>?
I have no idea for ARM but for Firefox & Co. I need usually around 4GB of
"memory" which can involve swap I guess which is more than suboptimal for
speed
but otherwise I guess we have only very few machines to have real physical
4GB?

According to [1] (and Adrian), <memory> includes swap, whereas
<physicalmemory> does not. I am inclined to always use the latter since
pypy builds still take about 3-5 hours to complete. I don't dare to
imagine how long it would take when using swap :-)

[1]
http://openbuildservice.org/help/manuals/obs-reference-guide/cha.obs.build_job_constraints.html#idm140075589204864
--
Sascha Peilicke
SUSE Linux GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg, Germany

  • No further messages