Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Comment titles
  • From: Sascha Peilicke <speilicke@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 10:22:29 +0200
On 09/06/2013 10:11 AM, Stephan Kulow wrote:
On 06.09.2013 08:07, Henne Vogelsang wrote:
Hey,

On 05.09.2013 18:35, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am 05.09.2013 17:13, schrieb Henne Vogelsang:
On 05.09.2013 16:19, Stephan Kulow wrote:

I don't imagine the comment system to replace the mailing lists
actually. E.g. discussing issues on github is without threading and
titles and still works quite fine :)

And disqus uses threading and titles and works also quite fine :) It's
not a matter of working or not, it's a matter of preference and we chose
threading...

It's not the threading that bothers me. I was just pointing on the other
extreme works too - so I'd favor a middle way :)

So threading and no titles? How would you indicate a new thread?

This is how I picture it:
http://en.support.wordpress.com/comment-display-options/

Greetings, Stephan

Being one of the most frequent users of the request view, I'd vote
against comment titles. Those discussions aren't meant to be formal, so
there's just no need. Also, I favor saving as much screen space as
possible and that's one less input line.

I have to say that I don't see much advantages for threading here. With
deeper nesting, you'll have to have more line breaks and wasted space in
the left (of indented comments). However, usually people only want to
add their comment in the end.

I'd rather prefer giving the comments numbers and add "reply to"
buttons. Much like bugzilla, it would be a little JavaScript snippet
inserting "[In reply to comment #bla]" into the comment textfield. On
the other hand, it's got pretty common to address specific user's
comments by referencing them in the answer, i.e like this:

jim: hi
john: ho
jack: @jim long time no see, @john: go play hide ...

Totally unrelated, the commenting system doesn't seem to work yet or it
broke recently :-)
--
Sascha Peilicke
SUSE Linux GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg, Germany

< Previous Next >