Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Arch: unresolvable: nothing provides libyaml needed by ruby
(now for everyone, not just Matt...)

On Wednesday 21 Aug 2013 13:12:46 Matt Williams wrote:
On 21 August 2013 12:47, Nico Kruber <nico.kruber@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,
I tried to add ruby to the built dependencies of a package of mine and got
the following message on ArchLinux in OBS (during "osc build" on my dev
machine): unresolvable: nothing provides libyaml needed by ruby

Can someone import this package as well so we can build ruby packages?

libyaml is available from the Community repo in Arch, not Core or
Extra (https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/libyaml/)
which are what we have in the Build Service.
When building for Arch in my home project, I just made a new package
(called 'libyaml' in your case), copied the PKGBUILD from
https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/trunk?h=packages/
libyaml and set it to not publish and to only build for Arch. You'll also
have to manually download the source tarball and edit the PKGBUILD to
reference the local file rather than the remote one.
For me this then satisfied the dependency. I did however have to go a
few levels deep and ended up with all the packages in
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:Milliams:Arch:Community

As an aside, this would all be easier if the Arch build machinery
could automatically look in the PKGBUILD, download the tarball
mentioned in 'source' and silently tweak the 'source' line to refer to
the local file.

Hope this helps,
Matt

ok, I assumed that something that is in Core (ruby in my case) only has
dependencies to Core packages (libyaml) and assumed it was just missing here

well, apparently, I was wrong and need to include it like you did - let's hope
it does not go that deep...

Thanks
Nico