Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: RAR crack tool permitted on OBS?
On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 01:58:58AM -0300, Claudio Freire wrote:
On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 7:10 PM, Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 23:57:37 +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

On Saturday 2013-07-27 22:57, Greg Freemyer wrote:

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Not to mention that password cracking, in my IANAL view (because
IANAL), isn't illegal at all. At least in my jurisdiction.

It is not in most jurisdictions, but Germany has some of the strictest
laws for computer hacking tool distribution and openSUSE follows German
law for the repositories.

If it really was like that, why do we still have traceroute and nmap?

Arguably, those tools are diagnostic tools, not password cracking tools.

May I remind people that cracklib (a password cracking library) is
part of the core tools? To help check password strength when using
passwd? (through pam_cracklib)

There's nothing shady about password cracking, as there's nothing
shady about copying files. It's the intent and purpose of specific
instances of those actions what matters, but that kind of distinction
doesn't belong to a software package blacklist.

The decision in the end would lay with lawyers and judges.

So we *could* poll our legal folks on that question, but as all legal
people they will more tend to be careful ;)

I vaguely remember that for guidance the primary purpose of the tool is
questioned here.

If it is primary or even solely for hacking purposes, it is considered
a hacker tool.

If it is multi purpose (like tcpdump, nmap, wireshark, or john) it is
more or less ok.

Ciao, Marcus