Fwd: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: RAR crack tool permitted on OBS?
Forgot to include the list:

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Kyrill Detinov <lazy.kent@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 13:38:51 -0500 Malcolm wrote:

Well I would assume that since it's a cracking tool, it would clarify
for OBS users?

Hi.

I hope, it's a recovery tool for forgotten passwords.
The program site informs:

Warning: Please don't use this program for any illegal things!

BTW. We have one more tool in the _security_ repository. ;)
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?project=security&package=pdfcrack

It can also be a pen-testing tool.

It's really no job of a distribution to worry about how users use the
software inside. I mean, if it was a botnet, whose only discernible
purpose is inherently illegal, maybe (and just maybe). But password
cracking software exists for many reasons other than to crack someone
else's password. And even if not, until someone legally complains, and
somehow the distribution is forced to remove it, I see no point in
banning any software.

If it was just the potential for illegal use, you'd also ban cp, since
it can be used to copy copyrighted content, and also gimp, since it
can be used to edit content licensed under no-derivatives, and
whatever other software you could imagine was harmless, which can most
certainly be used for some illegal purpose.

Not to mention that password cracking, in my IANAL view (because
IANAL), isn't illegal at all. At least in my jurisdiction.

So no... there's no reason to ban it.