Re: [opensuse-buildservice] package maintenance...am i doing this correctly?
On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 9:22 AM, Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Freitag, 12. Juli 2013, 08:55:30 schrieb Darin Perusich:
Hello All,

I'm trying to update the sudo package in opensuse12.3 from the package
in Base:System and I've been asked to create an mbranch

"osc mbranch" is only usefull if you want to update a package in
all maintained instances. Okay, you remove all unwanted branched
packages as well again afterwards. Or use "osc branch -M openSUSE:12.3:Update
..." to branch just a single package.

I did use "osc branch -M -c openSUSE:12.3:Update sudo" to create the
branch. I'd like to have SSSD support enabled in sudo and only 12.3+
has libsss_sudo for SSSD support.

Without checking the sources, using the factory package directly seems
to be very brave. Usually we just backport the smallest possible fix
to avoid large test runs and reduce the risk as much as possible.

Anyway, if you really want to use that source, you can do a copypac
afterwards

osc copypac -K Base:System ....

The -K is important, because it will keep the original link which helps
for diffing and for submitting.

But you could also submit it directly with

osc mr Base:System sudo openSUSE:12.3:Update

This is what I originally did but that request was declined and I was
asked to create an mbranch.

without the need to create a branch at all.

, merge and
commit the changes, then create a new maintenancerequest. I've been
reviewing the package maintenance page,
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Package_maintenance, and I just want
to ensure i'm doing things properly before i commit things.

I've created a branch of openSUSE:12.3:Update/sudo and checked out
Base:System/sudo and "merged" them by manually coping the updated/new
sources from Base:System/sudo into the branch, adding them, removing
the old sources. I know I need to sync up the .changes but I don't
want to simply overwrite the branches because there is 1 change added
to the update that isn't in the Base:System package.

I'm I going about this correctly or is there a better way to "merge"
the changes? Should I be concerned about keeping the .changes entry or
just clobber it, and include the bug number in the new .changes?

Policy is that you have just the change explained in some bugzilla why
it is needed to update. And also nothing from .changes file must get lost.

Hence my hesitation in just "clobbering" the .changes.

Thanks!