Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Directory Trees
On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Michael Lindner <michael@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The Apache (httpd) source is definitely organised into multiple directories.

I don't know what you are talking about, apache (eg. [0]) has 64
source files in one single directory. No subdirectories.
Please be more specific about what you mean. In RPM. you only have
three kinds of files in one single directory: 1.) the sources, like
tarballs and other archives, and additional single files (scripts,
graphics, configs); 2.) patches, that are applied to the sources; 3.)
the spec file, which is responsible for including the former as
"Source" and "Patch" files, extracting, patching, compiling,
installing, etc. (see [1]).

Why did you write another one instead of answering to the existing
thread [2]? Most people will not take the time to search for it, and
why should they? All relevant information should be in this thread.
From your previous mail I gather you talk about what is inside the
tarball and the directories therein. I think you misunderstand how RPM
works. You do not need to tar the sources again after extracting and
patching them. You can patch them in %build and then just do whatever
is necessary in %install (for example, see [3] or any simpler spec
file, or the docs [4] and [5]).

[0]: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=apache2&project=Apache
[1]: http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/ch-rpm-basics.html
[2]: http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-buildservice/2013-06/msg00131.html
[3]:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file?expand=1&file=apache2.spec&package=apache2&project=Apache
(line 409ff is %build and 591ff is %install)
[4]: http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/s1-rpm-build-creating-spec-file.html
[5]: page 18, 23-27 in
https://www.gurulabs.com/downloads/GURULABS-RPM-LAB/GURULABS-RPM-GUIDE-v1.0.PDF

--
Kind regards
Christopher 'm4z' Holm / 686f6c6d

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense
and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is
beautiful and his children smart." --H. L. Mencken