Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Changing the product name of an existing product
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 22:34:55 +0200
On Dienstag, 21. Mai 2013, 10:20:03 wrote Nathan Cooper:
Greetings,

I have a product that needs to completely replace a previous product. Most
of the RPM names are the same - this was essentially a name change on the
side of the product. Ideally I would like the users to be able to use
OpenSuse's "Patch-CD Update" to perform the migration, as that is what the
current user base is used to in the update process.

I added "<obsoletepackage>old-package</obsoletepackage>" to the
_product/new-package.product file, which added the following line to my
_product:new-product-release/new-product-release.spec
"Provides: weakremover(new-product-release)"

However, during a Patch-CD Update, the new product is not selected
automatically. Even when I select it manually, the old-product-release
package is not removed automatically.

If I use the "Add-On Product" module, the new product pattern IS selected
automatically, but the old package is not removed.

Is it possible to provide a direct update path for users when changing the
product name? If so, how?

The link below seemed my greatest chance for manual help, but I was not able
to get much from it, unfortunately.

http://openbuildservice.org/help/manuals/obs-reference-guide/cha.obs.product_building.html

Again, thank you in advance for your time and consideration, I really
appreciate the work that has been done on OBS.

Nathan, it is better to ask the YaST people how to implement that
in first place. When they can tell you how to do it, I can tell
you how to do via the OBS product definition.

And I will add a section to the OBS product chapter then covering
this aspect :)

sorry
adrian

SUSE Linux Products GmbH