[opensuse-buildservice] Re: Issues with OBS_Server_2.4 (openSUSE 12.1) repo install
  • From: Troy Telford <ttelford.groups@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 00:19:15 -0600
On 2013-05-02 04:49:02 +0000, Adrian Schröter said:

On Mittwoch, 1. Mai 2013, 18:49:32 wrote Troy Telford:
I'm pretty sure this isn't the right plact to o

something missing here?

Maybe ;)

I had accidentally fat-fingered 'send.'

Then I couldn't post a follow-up stating that, so I decided to wait for a couple of hours and post a reply.

The biggest issue I found is in the RPM packaging:

I had OBS 2.3; Ruby 1.8.something. I was using the openSUSE:Tools repo.

Upon upgrading, I found that the 'ruby-1.9' package had a linking error: /usr/bin/ruby was linked against libruby-1.8.so (or something like that).

This brought OBS to a screeching halt, as 'ruby' couldn't run.

I dug up the srpm, and found that the most of the contents of the 'ruby-1.9' package were mostly %ghost files - including ruby, rake.

Which is why my 'rpm -qf /usr/bin/ruby' was showing 'ruby-1.9' as having the old ruby binary.

What appears to have happened is that when I upgraded from Ruby 1.8, the Ruby 1.8 binaries were left in place (somehow). As the 'ruby-1.9' package had these binaries as %ghost, it appears to have 'adopted' the old ruby 1.8 binaries. It took me a while to figure that out, as I had difficulty believing that was what had happened.

Finally, I decided to take a look at update-alternatives --list ruby.

The alternatives system wouldn't update the symlinks, as the ruby 1.8 binaries were still in place (even though the ruby 1.8 package(s) were uninstalled).

After removing the old/bad binaries, and re-running update-alternatives for the entire (but short) list of binaries that were %ghost(ed) in the ruby-1.9 package, all was well.

I'm not sure if it's a packaging problem per se, but it's likely something someone else will run into when they upgrade. If nothing else, it's "documented" in the mailing list.
--
Troy Telford