Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Jenkins and OBS

On 23.01.2013, at 2:24, Troy Telford <ttelford.groups@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2013-01-17 22:44:37 +0000, Kanstantsin Shautsou said:

What type of integration you want?

Well, from what I'm looking at, Jenkins monitors a version control system,
and is able to then perform a number of actions, including a build.

I'd like to be able to:
- have Jenkins monitor several git repositories (various project components)
- Trigger package builds in OBS when these repositories have updated.
It's easy, i/you can wrote simple plugin for it.
- Report & track the success/failure of the builds.
It's difficult, obs has no build ID's, that you can use for wait. Also package
build could be triggered for rebuild by other packages.
And how you plan track various arches for build (i thing here could be used
matrix build, but it also differs)?

- Eventually run a series of automated QA tests on the packages.
It's difficult because you can't grab code tests. (there is no mechanism of
transfer file from build root).
You can only run tests for build package and here is another problem, in what
environment?
There is no consistency..
Jenkins is a bit other level of build systems then OBS.

I have a set of git commit hooks which will run 'osc service remoterun' in
the corresponding package. They work well, but managers like shiny GUIs to
show to their bosses, and so on - which Jenkins provides. (I know about
OBS's shiny gui - and like it too. As they say - more is better.)