Re: [opensuse-buildservice] who removed steam from games: and why?
On Jan 14, 13 13:48:34 +0100, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Is there any standard procedure for this? like:

1. Do I have to receive a written permission or oral permission?
It for sure needs to be something that can be verified. But we have tons
of cases in our packages, where an email from the author to clarify the
license was enough for passing legal review. This won't happen with
Oracle, we won't believe emails "From: Larry" to be legit.

2. If it's a written permission, what terms/keywords should it
contain? eg: "I, (XXX), the owner of XXX, agree marguerite to
distribute my software XXX with openSUSE" or just "I received your
email, just go ahead please."
I'm not a lawyer.

A good approach (imho) is to head for a well known and public license,
*especially* if upstream folks do not come up with a license themselves.

"Hello Upstream. We at openSUSE would like to include your package XXX under
License YYY in our next distribution. Is that okay with you?"

Which license to suggest, is mostly guesswork.
I'd try MIT, CC-BY-3.0, GPL-2.0+, CC-SA-3.0 not necessarily in that order.
If many dependencies are under the same license, then suggest this one.

I'm not a layer either, but that is what I successfully did a several
times in the past. CC-ing the legal team.

cheers,
JW-

\ | 0911 74053-508 say #263A!__/ (____/ /\
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, J.Guild, F.Imendoerffer, HRB 16746
(AG Nuernberg), Maxfeldstrasse 5, 90409 Nuernberg, Germany

SuSE. Supporting Linux since 1992. ☺