Re: [opensuse-buildservice] who removed steam from games: and why?
On 14.01.2013 13:06, Marguerite Su wrote:
On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 7:37 PM, Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
There are no officials in openSUSE, the maintainer of the openSUSE
package would need to ask steam.

Hi, coolo,

Just for a double-check, because I have many such packages required by
my Chinese community users.

1. You words indicated that, openSUSE indeed never _just_ reject
packages because it's non-free, but reject packages that is packaged
without informing the upstream and getting a distribution permission.

There are two things to seperate here: the openSUSE distribution and the
OBS instance of opensuse.org. The openSUSE distribution includes non-OSI
software if e.g. the license of it allows distribution without further
regulations. This usually means we either have a perfectly clear license
or a perfectly clear contract with the vendor of the software.

Now the OBS instance of opensuse.org allows only OSI software unless
it's in the openSUSE distribution's non-OSI part - which by all
practical means locks down further development of it ;)

Note: I didn't talk about potential patent violating packages(ffmpeg,
MPlayer and etc), I was talking about non-free packages that want to
be distributed with openSUSE but don't know how, which might be
commercial (eg: browser plugin for banks or online payment services)
or owned by a single person (eg: yong input method, which is an
Chinese ime developed and owned by a forum user) or other similar
cases.

so if I got permission from parties like Oracle, I can package JDK for
openSUSE and distribute it, there's no barriers from our side, is it
true?
Good luck negotiating with Oracle, but yes - that's the rule.

2. If that's the case, does it mean that I can _just_ package and
submit to Factory Non-free repository directly without noticing
anyone, or just noticing our license diggers to give it a pass?

Is there any standard procedure for this? like:

1. Do I have to receive a written permission or oral permission?
It for sure needs to be something that can be verified. But we have tons
of cases in our packages, where an email from the author to clarify the
license was enough for passing legal review. This won't happen with
Oracle, we won't believe emails "From: Larry" to be legit.

2. If it's a written permission, what terms/keywords should it
contain? eg: "I, (XXX), the owner of XXX, agree marguerite to
distribute my software XXX with openSUSE" or just "I received your
email, just go ahead please."
I'm not a lawyer.

3. If the permission is issued to another single person, eg, me, the
one who ask, what if I leave the community? should the package get
dropped or we just take it as it was? or change a way of asking, can I
stand for openSUSE to ask that distribution permission?
You of course need to have an allowance for the whole openSUSE
community, otherwise we would put ourselves in your hand and in all
respect to you - that won't happen.

Greetings, Stephan