Re: [opensuse-buildservice] who removed steam from games: and why?
  • From: Marguerite Su <i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 20:06:28 +0800
On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 7:37 PM, Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
There are no officials in openSUSE, the maintainer of the openSUSE
package would need to ask steam.

Hi, coolo,

Just for a double-check, because I have many such packages required by
my Chinese community users.

1. You words indicated that, openSUSE indeed never _just_ reject
packages because it's non-free, but reject packages that is packaged
without informing the upstream and getting a distribution permission.

Note: I didn't talk about potential patent violating packages(ffmpeg,
MPlayer and etc), I was talking about non-free packages that want to
be distributed with openSUSE but don't know how, which might be
commercial (eg: browser plugin for banks or online payment services)
or owned by a single person (eg: yong input method, which is an
Chinese ime developed and owned by a forum user) or other similar
cases.

so if I got permission from parties like Oracle, I can package JDK for
openSUSE and distribute it, there's no barriers from our side, is it
true?

2. If that's the case, does it mean that I can _just_ package and
submit to Factory Non-free repository directly without noticing
anyone, or just noticing our license diggers to give it a pass?

Is there any standard procedure for this? like:

1. Do I have to receive a written permission or oral permission?

2. If it's a written permission, what terms/keywords should it
contain? eg: "I, (XXX), the owner of XXX, agree marguerite to
distribute my software XXX with openSUSE" or just "I received your
email, just go ahead please."

3. If the permission is issued to another single person, eg, me, the
one who ask, what if I leave the community? should the package get
dropped or we just take it as it was? or change a way of asking, can I
stand for openSUSE to ask that distribution permission?

Thanks in advance

Marguerite