[opensuse-buildservice] Re: [opensuse-packaging] OBS 101: How to threat packages with multiple spec files
Hi,

On 2013-01-10 10:22:52 +0100, Sascha Peilicke wrote:

<SNIP>

Even though you end up with four OBS packages, you only have to modify /
fix "python-nose" due to the links. This is much better than using
copypac (as I've seen recently). Of course you should only split up into
several spec files if there's a very good reason for the extra work.
Here are some:

- To avoid build cycles
- To off-load looong-running parts of a package build, like:
+ Running a testsuite ($PACKAGE-testsuite.spec)
+ Building documentation ($PACKAGE-doc.spec)

Hmm I don't think it's a good idea to move the run of a testsuite
or the doc building to different spec files because it might decrease
the "quality" of a package. For instance:
- the package is pushed to the repo even if the testsuite fails
- the package and package-doc might be inconsistent (if the package is
pushed to the repo and the doc building fails)

IMHO it's probably better to comment out the long running parts (or
define some macros for them) when doing local builds.

- When building the same thing against a different set of (build)
requirements, like:
+ Different $DYNAMIC_LANGUAGE interpreter versions
(usually $INTERPRETER-$PACKAGE.spec)

Thanks for the pointers!

Marcus