Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Translated package descriptions on software.o.o
On 05.01.2013 17:18, Andrey Gankov wrote:
Hi
I want try realize show translated package summary and description on
software.opensuse.org.
We have translated descriptions for openSUSE
http://svn.opensuse.org/viewvc/opensuse-i18n/trunk/packages/.
It showed in yast software management, but it didn't show on
software.opensuse.org.
I think it will be good feature and i have interest will make it.
But i think i need mentor, who can help me start and say me how make it
good.
Now i have some questions about how it will need implemented.
1 - How i can get translated string? It will be .mo files in source of
software.o.o like interface translation or i will need get translation
from any another source? I still no thoroughly understand architecture
of software.o.o.
2 - software.o.o shows descriptions from OBS? It is not descriptions
from spec file?

Hi,

You can query me for details if you want to work on it.

software.opensuse.org already uses rails-gettext, so there is already
ruby code available to read mo files, so far only to translate
software.oo itself.

The descriptions are read from api.opensuse.org, but it should be fine
trying to match them against the packages.mo - but the software.oo app
will need to compile them (and possibly copy them into its own git for
easier deployment).

But you can checkout the rails app yourself and test it on your local
workstation, start from https://github.com/openSUSE/software-o-o, but
note that the install instructions are majorly outdated with the rails 3
port.

Greetings, Stephan