Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Increasing the throughput of Open Build Service (OBS) building packages in obs with fusion io pci-e drive card
  • From: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 02:41:17 -0300
On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Reason for asking.
Improve the packaging times during busy times on (OBS).

The problem is not disk, it's CPU.

For example, build11 is a 2-core Opteron 8214 according to CPUID,
but is configured for 24 parallel gcc instances [WORKER_INSTANCES=6,
WORKER_JOBS=4]. It is only natural to feel "slow" with these
"overbooking" settings.

Or don't overbook?

What's the rationale for that WORKER_JOBS=4 there? If under-utilized
build hosts were expected, I could understand a 3 (for I/O wait), but
it's certainly not the case for OBS and even if it were, it's quite
debatable. So, a 2 seems more like it to be optimum there (maybe not
even).