Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Increasing the throughput of Open Build Service (OBS) building packages in obs with fusion io pci-e drive card
On Friday 2012-11-30 18:01, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

El 30/11/12 09:07, doiggl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx escribió:

Some questions.
- Has SSD fusion io pci-e drive card ever been tried on obs
- Would a SSD fusion io pci-e drive help shrink down the processing time
on all obs jobs, therefore improving obs job turnaround times.
- I know it costs for a card [Depends what capacity/model]
- I saw some pci-e drive Manufacturer refurbished cards on ebay[2]

setting up the buildroots in RAM will be probably cheaper than buying those
cards for a process that is volatile as building packages.

Just for the record again, using tmpfs is hardly any faster than a
casual SSD, so using FusionIO will *NOT* really help. This is because
created files will go into cache and are only being flushed later,
opportunistically or when there is memory pressure.

Given that the buildroot for many packages is below 1.5 GB, a 32 GB
RAM machine can easily soak up lots of files - and once the
(relatively) slow compilation phase starts, you don't care about
background writeout.

(In other words, tmpfs is not even required, which also fixes the
danger of running into -ENOSPC on tmpfs.)