Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Ubuntu 12.10 x11-common postinst bug
  • From: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 12:43:27 -0300
On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 6:07 AM, Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx> wrote:
x11-common simply manages a initscript via update-rc.d - the bug is inside
update-rc.d (part of sysv-rc package).

update-rc.d checks, if /etc/init.d/.legacy-bootordering is present. If yes,
it changes the etc directory itself, else it calls
inserv [expecting, that it is in the path - the insserv package ships this
exectuable in /usr/lib/insserv].

The postinst of sysv-rc creates /etc/init.d/.legacy-bootordering, if still
some init scripts are linked as
/etc/rc0.d/S*

In a Ubunutu 12.04 (as well as Ubuntu 12.10) chroot, update-rc.d is broken,
if there is no /etc/init.d/.legacy-bootordering.

Ensuring, that there is a /etc/init.d/.legacy-bootordering after sysv-rc is
installed and configured, should solve the problem.

I don't fully understand the OBS bootstrap nor have I tried to reproduce the
bootstrap, but in my option the problem
is caused by the fact, that passwd on 12.10 got a depenendency to upstart
added. So initscripts/sysv-rc.d are installed
in the first phase (--prepare) - according to the build logs (and the
project config), it's postinst are not started.

So in my option, OBS could add a workaround to create a
/etc/init.d/.legacy-bootordering after finishing prepare.
Running the initscripts of sysc-rc.d/initscripts could also be an option.

Thanks a lot for this analyse. I have added a hint to run the scripts of
sysv-rc package directly
after preinstall now. (This means packages lack actually correct pre-require
definitions, 12.10 seems
to be really highly broken dependency wise, because it is not the first one).

That seems to have fixed it.

Thanks