[opensuse-buildservice] OBS Trip Report: oSC12
Hey Guys,

over the weekend I went to the openSUSE conference/Linuxdays in
Prague/Czech Republic, here is my trip-report for the OBS community.

##General Comments
The program of the first two days was more focused on things that are
only loosely connected to OBS like FOSS/commons/freedom in general, user
workshops and applications. It also featured a gentoo track but they
don't have much use for a build service... Monday and Tuesday on the
other hand where focused solely on openSUSE and here the OBS, naturally,
played a bigger role.

All in all it was nice to meet so many OBS users and hear how, what we
produce together, makes their FOSS-life a little bit easier. Also nobody
screamed at Coolo or me, no one tried to beat us up. So I guess we can't
do everything wrong ;-)

##Program related to OBS
I've blogged about it before going there. Check out

http://openbuildservice.org/2012/10/17/obs-%40-osc/

###OBS Packager Workshop
The room was packed. Somewhere around 30 people participated in our
packager workshop and successfully built packages and tried the
collaboration features of the OBS.

BTW this workshop (and others) is also online┬╣ and whenever you can, you
should hold it at FOSS events! The Libreoffice file includes notes and
everything. Check it out.

┬╣ http://openbuildservice.org/help/materials/

It's modeled after the two screencasts we have, which you also find there.

###OBS for embedded projects
Karsten Keil talked about the transparent cross compiling feature B1 is
developing for the OBS and the motivation behind it. It was recorded so
watch out for it on http://blip.tv/opensuse (it's not released yet).
The code is in their fork here:

https://github.com/b1-systems/open-build-service

###Packaging tools
Daniel Lovasko presented some scripts that make it easier to automate
some tasks packagers do repeatedly. It's currently done _around_
osc/rpm, but as far as I could gather some of it is already in python
and it could be made a nice OSC plugin. The recording of the talk is here:

http://blip.tv/opensuse/osc12-packaging-tools-6410647

And the code here:

https://gitorious.org/opensuse/pack-tools

###Future of OBS BoF
We talked a little bit about the general features on the roadmap, we
showed how the webui looks in master, talked about where osc2 is heading
and so on. We also dived a bit into wishes for the near future.
From the ~10 participants I heard

1. Mobile client to do package reviews. People would like to do that
task on the train or something very much.
2. Native build hosts for ARM
3. Take another look as the webui/osc from the user experience
perspective. Introduce some other personas than the casual packager
the current UI's are optimized for.
4. Somehow get going on Hermes fixes and features again but that is
currently not really possible for us with the man-power we have.

##Ideas/Features
Here are the ideas for features I heard floating around @ osc12 on the
hallway, in personal conversations and in talks not really related to OBS.

###osc related
* osc plugin to search and install packages from all OBS projects.
Basically software.o.o for the command line. Should probably rather be
a zypper plugin but is seen as missing feature of the OBS.

* Using some VCS _only_ for checkouts.
Like an osc plugin that makes it easy to store intermediate steps
between checkout & checkin to the OBS

###backend related
* Put a "build at my machine" button on home: projects that somehow
builds packages (exclusively from this projct) on a local worker
instance. So people can use their own hardware as worker.

###webui related
* Merge the monitor and the status pages in the webui because
they are confusing the casual submitter

* Clean up the users tab to not show project maintainers by default,
only maintainers/bugowners so people know whom to contact.

* If there is a problem with a package in a project, the devel_project
should shown it in it's status page as well.
Related talk:

* Introduce some gamification into the webui. Like badges for the Nth
built package or the Nth submitrequest. Top packager lists and stuff
like that. Related talk:
http://blip.tv/opensuse/osc12-gamefiction-6410559

That's it, I hope you enjoyed this report.

The next trip on our radar are the Erlangener Linuxtage the weekend
after next where Adrian and me will do the Facts, Features, Future talk
(also available on http://openbuildservice.org/help/materials/ as you
guessed ;-)

Henne

--