Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Improving the throughput during busy times on Open Build Service using ioDrive , cost < $3000

On Saturday 2012-09-01 09:52, doiggl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

What are your thoughts on improving the throughput during busy times on
Open Build Service (OBS)?
[1] Fusion-IO cards listing on ebay ,some models that were listed for
less than $3000.

I'll say it once, and I'll say it again: it does not pay off to invest
in anything more than SSDs.

$ time osc build -bd --clean openSUSE_Factory x86_64 nx-libs.spec
[I added an "exit 1" call at the end of %prep]

Machine 1 (i7-2600K, 32G RAM, osbuild-packagecache on rotational disk
seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166, buildroot on ...):
tmpfs: 21 s
disk: 55 s

Machine 2 (i7-2600K, 32G RAM, osbuild-packagecache on SSD,
buildroot on ...):
tmpfs: 17 s
ssd: 19 s

These tests were hot runs, so packagecache was buffered in RAM. As
such, extracing the RPMs to populate the buildroot was essentially a
huge memcpy from and to RAM. = FusionIO won't help here.