Re: [opensuse-buildservice] building for RHEL 6
Thank you for the clarification, I will drop RHEL6 then.

Best regards,
Michael

2012/9/19 Radoslav Dibarbora <dibo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On 19. 9. 2012 14:31, Adrian Schröter wrote:

Am Mittwoch, 19. September 2012, 09:39:27 schrieb Michael Behrisch:

Hi,
the RHEL 6 at build.opensuse.org seems to be a rather stripped down
version. Even quite basic packages like libicu-devel seem to be
missing
(https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=xerces-c&project=Application%3AGeo)
although Red Hat issues updates for them
(http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2011-1815.html) which indicates
they are part of the official distro.
Can anyone explain that? Is there a plan to update RHEL just like CentOS?

It is as complete as RedHat ships it. We are just not allowed to use
to the update packages there.

Just to put more light on the RHEL6 issue:

RHEL6 *-devel packages are located within "optional" channel/repository.
Optional channel is available only via RHN and is not shipped within CD/DVD
set.
Therefore there is multiple technical and legal issues adding "Optional"
packages into publicly available OBS instance.

If you really needs to build against RHEL6 you have to build your own OBS
instance and feed the needed packages from machine with official RHN
subscription.

Regards
Dibo

CentOS and ScientificLinux are said to be compatible, so you use their
distro to build for RHEL6

Thank you and best regards,
Michael